Sunday, March 9, 2008

May/September and the double standard

I was having brunch today with my friend M at quasi-nouveau restaurant here in town. While waiting for our food, an attractive woman in her late 50's and a young man (I immediately noticed the perky pecs and tight biceps) in his mid 20's walk in and are seated behind us. Casual observation (their physical closeness, the shoulder caresses, the tone of their conversation, etc...) told me this was definitely NOT a mother and son Sunday afternoon outing, unless of course this guy's name was Oedipus. Immediately I think...SHE"S PAYING FOR IT! In my mind she deserves a "You go girl! You got you a boy toy!", some kind of pity or something in between the two. I never even entertained the thought that I would have had if the situation were reversed and there was a late 50 something man and a younger woman. Funny, when it's the reverse situation, I either don't think anything of it, think it's sweet that two people have found each other despite their age differences or think the man feels he needs a trophy.

This all reminded me of a former neighbor I had when I lived off Polo Road in my first townhouse.

4 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

ah, the cougar--aka older woman w/ younger man. it is a double standard, even for liberated women like us.
i think you need a boy toy : )
CK

Joan said...

I can relate. I'm older than David from July to February! I guess that makes him my boy toy.

broad minded said...

i totally think a boy toy would be the way to go if you had the opportunity. why not? speaking from experience, age is just a number, it is really more about how old the person thinks they are, then how old they really are.

Trish said...

broad minded - we are, and have always been, on the same page with this subject. and i don't mean about the boy toy.
joan - you go girl!
ck - don't know about that. it would be bad karma or something. what if some cougar went after one of my babies/nephews? i would kill the bitch!