Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The dude magnet

About a month after our big win at Michigan I had to go to various spots in Florida to attend a trade show, visit clients, etc... As I was still beaming with pride over our conquest, I decided that all of my after work hours attire would consist solely of Appalachian State gear. I wanted to conduct an experiment of sorts. I wanted to know how many people would comment, how many people would comment positively or negatively and how many people would say Appa-Lay-Chian State.
My first two nights I was in South Beach at a hotel that was way too hip for me and I was probably the oldest human being on the property. This didn't seem to matter because as I crossed the lobby a couple of beefy boys wanted to ask me if I saw the Michigan game. Ummm, I was there. They had instant respect and awe. But BLAST these boys could be my children.
The third night I was in Orlando at the Sea World Hilton, where I was of median age, and Shamu asked me if I could get him an Armanti Edwards autograph. OK, not really. I was approached by a husband and wife team. The hubs told me they were Ohio State grads and they just LOVE Appalachian State. OK, well that's wonderful but you are married.
Night number four I am in Boca Raton at yet another Hilton where I am the youngest hotel guest. This great-grandfatherly ex jock looking gentleman eagerly approaches me and wants to know if I went to AppaLayChain State. I didn't have the heart to correct him so I simply answered, "Yes I did." He told me that I should be proud to wear that shirt and I reminded him that I was proud to wear it long before September 1.
Too young, taken or too old. That's ok. It's nice to know that ASU finally commands recognition.

4 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

ah, you may just have found the ticket to scoring men!! LOL you just need to wear it somewhere that you aren't the oldest or youngest LOL

Trish said...

Right! It took me 46 years to figure it out. Call me a slow learner.

Joan said...

We got back from Michigan that Saturday night. Sunday morning I went to Bruegger Bagels. A running team was meeting there. They had been carrying an ASU flag. I went over to speak to them. They treated me like a celebrity. I still get all kinds of good comments when I mention I was there. Imagine how bad we would have felt it we had not made the trip. It was awesome except for that one part - leaving the hotel to go back into the airport for dinner!
Wonderful experiment.

broad minded said...

well, well ms. sporty spice! just make sure you throw some love down south when you play your southern conference buddies Furman. FU one time! FU two times! FU ALL THE TIME!!!!!